Wordpress Maintenance Service
The Risk without Regular Maintenance
- Potential website issues and bugs
- If something goes wrong, the site may not be recoverable
- Higher risk of unauthorised access, hacking or malware
- Website may be down for long periods without notification
Advantages of Regular Maintenance
- Website running smoothly
- Backups & quick restore in case something goes wrong
- Secure website
- Immediate investigation if the website has downtime
Over 30,000 websites get hacked every day
More than 70% of all WordPress sites have security vulnerabilities
Regularly updating WordPress Core, plugins and theme to the latest versions.
Daily incremental offsite backups of all files and database, with the ability to quickly restore.
Ongoing security monitoring activities to prevent unauthorised access to the WordPress backend.
24/7 monitoring to ensure the website is active, with immediate investigation if there is downtime.
Update theme, plugins and WordPress
What are Updates
- Just like you would regularly update the apps on your phone, WordPress, Plugins and the Theme require regular updating to the latest versions.
- Updating all software regularly, ensures the following for your website:
- Functions well
- Has all the latest features
- Website is more secure
- Often, the latest version fixes security issues. In these cases, updating it to the last version becomes more urgent and crucial.
- Activate updates on a separate copy of your site first, to ensure all goes smoothly.
- Once the test update is completed successfully, then updates are conducted on the live site.
- Thorough testing to ensure that the site works as it should.
- Sometimes this task involves fixing issues after the update.
- This task is conducted outside of business hours.
- This service involves keeping up to date with the latest security news and taking action when news breaks that is relevant to your site.
Why Backups are Important
- Without backups, if something goes wrong, there is no way to recover the website.
- Backups are generated every day
- Stored offsite, in the cloud.
- Incremental backups – highly efficient process.
- Website can be restored quickly, if necessary.
The Importance of Security
- WordPress is the most popular platform for websites. 35% of ALL websites on the internet use WordPress. This makes it a prime target for hackers.
- There are many types of attacks, eg. brute force attacks and SQL injections.
- Protection against a variety of attack types eg. brute force attacks & SQL injections.
- Regular malware scans.
- Notification alerts setup for hacking attacks. Investigation and action taken if necessary.
- Notification alerts setup for all WordPress security related activities such as logins and new or deleted users.
What is Uptime and Downtime
- Uptime is the percentage of time your site is active and downtime is the percentage of time your site is down.
- Uptime percentage depends on the host.
- No host guarantees 100% uptime.
- It is important to monitor uptime:
- 24 / 7 Monitoring.
- Alerts setup for downtime.
- Immediate investigation for extended downtime.
Monitor Website Changes
- On the rare occasion, elements of websites inadvertently change.
- This may be due to content updates, plugins conflicts, server changes, or caching issues.
- Weekly checks to ensure the website presents visually as it should.
- Investigation and fix any unexpected changes.
Latest Security News
New security vulnerability issues come up constantly and can affect even the most popular themes and plugins and WordPress Core. New issues about plugin security come up EVERY DAY. Sometimes they affect millions of websites.
When news like this comes out, and it effects your website, it is essential to update to the latest version as soon as possible. The latest version usually patches the security issues. Once it is made available, the author of the theme or plugin makes an announcement that it has been patched in the latest version.
Here are some of most newsworthy security issues that have come up recently:
LATEST WORDPRESS CORE SECURITY NEWS
WordPress Core security updates come up almost every month:
WordPress 5.3.1 Security and Maintenance Release
December 13, 2019
WordPress 5.2.5 Security Update
November 19, 2019
WordPress 5.2.5 Security and Maintenance Release
October 14, 2019
WordPress 5.2.3 Security and Maintenance Release
September 5, 2019
LATEST PLUGIN SECURITY NEWS
Plugin security updates come up every day. These are the biggest updates recently:
Active attack on Duplicator plugin – affects over 1 million sites
February 19, 2020
Security Vulnerability in Elementor plugin – allows hackers to run scripts in the backend – affects 4 million sites
January 29, 2020
High Severity Vulnerability – Code Snippets Plugin – this plugin is installed on over 200,000 sites
January 28, 2020
LATEST THEME SECURITY NEWS
Theme security updates come up frequently. There were 11 security updates in Jan 2020 alone. These are the biggest updates recently:
Divi Code Injection vulnerability – Divi is installed on millions of websites
January 2, 2020
Open Redirect Vulnerability Patched In Bridge Theme – this theme has been purchased more than 120,000 times
Octember 21, 2019